“And He said to them, "Follow me, and I will make you fish for people”
Catechists Job Description
Catechists (teachers) are paired together creating a “team teaching” approach. Each mini course or curriculum has session outlines provided as well as training provided. The variety of methods used by the catechists may include icebreakers, interactive/interpretive games, audio/visual aids, prayer, scripture, reflections and small group discussions as well as the catechists own input and creativity.
Requirements and responsibilities for this job include:
· Completion of the
Cincinnati Archdiocesan Decree on Child Protection
· Sense of humor, energy and flexibility
· Willingness to try some new ideas
· A passionate desire to make a difference and honestly represent the Catholic faith
· Large and small group facilitation of activities, discussions and prayer
· A relationship with the youth where in the catechist becomes a mentor and knows the youth by name.
· A willingness to share his/her own faith story, remembering to disclose only what is appropriate.
· Work cooperatively with the other catechists on the team which means shared responsibilities and periodic team planning meetings as needed.
· Availability on two-three Sunday nights a month from 7:00-8:30 between September and March.
· A commitment to one hour of planning during the week before each session (on your own time)
· Attendance at the fall catechetical training session (free of cost of course).
· Commitment to complete the Cincinnati Archdiocesan Basic Certification for Catechists.
Completion of the Decree on Child Protection
Intro to Catechetical Ministry Course (10 hrs)
Basic Beliefs Course (5hrs)
Introduction to Scripture Course (5hrs)
Prayer Workshop (2 hrs)
Minimum one year experience as a catechists
Show example of parish/community service or ministry
Observation of Catechetical Session
Interview with Catechetical leader
Develop a plan of further growth and enrichment.
* All courses are provided by the Archdiocese of Cincinnati and paid for by the Parish.